About Our Rec Program
HVSA is proud to offer a robust recreational program which provides boys and girls between the ages of 3 and 18 the opportunity to play soccer regardless of their skill level.
No experience is necessary, there are no tryouts, and everyone will play at least half of every game.
The focus of the program is on fun, instruction, and making and growing friendships!
Our rec program is fueled by parent volunteers and we always need coaches, assistant coaches, team managers, referees, sponsors, and board members. If you have any interest in helping, or would like additional information, please contact our volunteer VP of Rec, Catherine Wilson ( firstname.lastname@example.org ).
Children ages 3 to 18 are eligible to participate and are grouped into the following divisions. Though we use age as of 9/30 to assign divisions, our focus on fun and friendship means that our intention is to keep children playing with their classmates. School grades below are used as a guide.
|Division||Age on 9/30||Typical Grades||Boys/Girls||Expected Weekend Commitment||Expected Weekday Commitment||Pre-Season Assessments**|
|Pre-K||3-4||Pre-K||Coed||Saturday AM at HES*||None||No|
|K||5||K||Coed||Saturday AM at HES*||None||No|
|1||6-7||1-2||Boys/Girls||Saturday AM at HES*||1 night per week, trainer & parent coach led||No|
|2||8-10||3-5||Boys/Girls||Saturday AM at IP***||2 nights per week, one parent coach led and one trainer led||Yes|
|3||11-13||6-8||Boys/Girls||Saturday AM & Sunday PM at BT*||1 night per week, parent coach led||Yes|
|4||14-17||9-12||Boys/Girls||Dependent on Inter-County League Schedule||TBD||No|
* HES = Hopewell Elem. School, IP = Independence Park, BT = Bear Tavern Elem. School
** Pre-Season Assessments for Divisions 2-3 are held prior to the season starting and are used to evaluate players solely to create balanced teams. No experience is necessary and everyone is assigned to a team.
*** Sundays may have to be used for trainer-led practice sessions for the second half of the fall season when there is less daylight for practice times.
- The fall season runs from the weekend after Labor Day until late October.
- Games are held every weekend but no games are held at HES during the Harvest Fair.
- Playoffs for Divisions 2 and 3 will be held in early November.
- Team shirts are provided for all players. Team shorts and socks are also provided for Divisions 2-4.
- All participants will receive a medal or trophy.
- The winter season is indoors (Timberlane Middle School) and runs from early January to the middle of March.
- Games are Sunday afternoons but no games are held on the weekends of Martin Luther King Jr Day or Presidents Day.
- Team shirts are provided for all players. No team shorts or socks are provided in the winter.
- There are no playoffs, medals, or trophies for the winter season.
- Season runs from mid April until mid June.
- Games are Sunday afternoons but no games are held on Easter or Memorial Day weekends.
- Team shirts are provided for all players. No team shorts or socks are provided in the spring.
- There are no playoffs, medals, or trophies for the spring season.
As of Fall 2021, the following fees are in place:
- Pre K - $120
- All Other Divisions - $110 (plus early bird discount of $10 or late fee of $10 based on registration date)
- Families experiencing financial hardships may request aid from the JOSHUA RIGEL SCHOLARSHIP FUND during the registration process.
Important Rules and Regulations:
- COVID-19 – we will continue to follow all CDC, NJ State, and NJ Youth Soccer guidelines and update as necessary. Refer to our current Covid protocols here.
- Consistent with Youth Soccer directives, head balls are not permitted in HVSA Rec Soccer games or practices.
- Shin guards are mandatory in all divisions.
- Soccer cleats are mandatory in Divisions 2-4.
- Per state of NJ regulations, any child that wears corrective eyeglasses while participating in soccer shall be required to wear protective eyewear that meets the frame standards of the American Society for Testing and Materials (ATSM) F803 and the lens standards of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Z87.1. Refer to this site for more information.
- No forms of jewelry are allowed on a player with the only exceptions of religious or medical bracelets, which must be properly taped to the player's body. This includes all forms of piercing, which are prohibited regardless of when the piercing occurred.
- All coaches and assistant coaches will be required to undergo criminal background checks with the Hopewell Township Police Department prior to the start of the season.
- The HVSA board has adopted a policy that warrants that all teams be reselected on an annual basis.